05 July 2012

a summer recipe: flavored detoxifying water


hi friends! happy july! I am sorta blogging backwards as I have a birthday, fourth of july, and vegas post in the works, but I've got a recipe that I'd like to share real quick. I wanted something refreshing and beneficial to my health. something that would help with my skin, hair, my energy, and my digestive system. so I decided to make a detoxing water.

there are several recipes out there for detoxing drinks. some with cucumber. some with mint. pineapple juice. cranberry juice. you get it. I have decided to make my own concoction adding a bit of everything.

here's what's in my detoxing water (from left to right): apple cranberry juice - not from concentrate, tj's brand. raspberries. lemon juice. ginger. cucumber. pineapple juice - the good stuff, also tj's brand. and mint. lots of mint. + water.

cranberries have been known to prevent cancers and disorders of the cardiovascular & immune systems. it is also commonly know to help your urinary tract from getting infections (and let's be real, who wants an infection in their lady/man bits?) plus it helps your teeth fight against plaque & reduces the formation of kidney stones.

raspberries are a rad source of vitamins. vitamin c. vitamin k. vitamin b6. vitamin a. vitamin e. folic acid. riboflavin. niacin. and are a good help in metabolizing carbohydrates and fats. this only makes me want to eat pints and pints of these delicious berries a day.

lemon juice is a friend of your digestive system, your skin, your teeth (toothaches, bad breath, etc.), it helps trim fat, keeps your throat healthy, your blood pressure where it should be, helps your respiratory system, and it even helps you relax! how's that for benefits.

ginger helps aching muscles, cramping, avoiding motion sickness, and also keeps your cardiovascular health thriving. (for those that consume it daily, that is.)


cucumbers keep you hydrated. they have a generous amount of vitamin c so its great for your skin and eyes (acne, or puffy eyes, anyone?) and they, also, along with cranberries prevent gallbladder and kidney stones. which is something that should be avoided at all costs, as far as I am concerned.

pineapple juice helps with bruising and swelling. it is chock full of vitamin c, b vitamins, and potassium. which is just dang good for your body, y'all.

mint, lastly, not only tastes delicious when seeped in this drink, is also an aid in digestion. it helps with nausea and headaches, respiratory disorders, asthma, acne, female sterility, and preventing cancer. those last two carry a bit of weight, so don't take my word for those benefits. but still. I couldn't just pick one thing to add to my water, they all are so kind to the body. and I need kind.


 I started by adding a handful of mint leaves, two handfuls of raspberries, one lemon thinly sliced, one cucumber sliced, & a ginger piece the size of a thumb grated into a large pitcher (or jar, if you're like me.)

then I added 2 cups pineapple juice, two cups cranberry juice, & the juice of 3-4 lemons. then add cold water until you have the amount you'd like. also add more or less of each item until you get it tasting how you'd like.

the longer it sits in the fridge, the more intense the flavors will become. and by intense, I mean delicious, of course.


drink daily.

and I'll get back to you on how this works for me.

N

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this! I love simple and thoughtful health recipes. Can't wait to try it. c:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kslhfkdshfg seriously N'tima, you are a babe. Thank you for sharing this with us. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I hope to try this recipe out very soon :)

    ReplyDelete